How to Become a Licensed Architect in Canada

How to Become a Licensed Architect in Canada 

is a question I get asked a lot given that I got my professional training outside of Canada.  I was a licensed architect in the Philippines prior to coming to Canada.
I get fairly regular queries from internationally trained architects, from different backgrounds,  who are close to  migrating to Canada or architects that are already in Canada and needs some insight in getting their architectural license, accreditation and the Canadian experience.

Architectural Job


First things first, it would be best to get employed working as an architectural designer in an architectural firm. When I was a newcomer to Canada, I landed in British Columbia and that was where I started to look for work. It was very hard to find work in my field at that time. I think it was a combination of lack of Canadian experience plus the economy was not too good. Looking back that was almost 20 years ago now, year 2000.

After assessing my situation in BC, I was thinking of trying my luck in Alberta. What helped me a lot at that time is that I had a valuable resource of information - I was able to connect with other Filipinos.  They were Filipino architects, who were already working in Calgary, Alberta. At that time, the United Architect of the Philippines Calgary chapter was quite active and the members gave me precious insight on the job market.  


That's when I decided to come to Calgary.   And mind you, I did not really know anyone in Alberta. Most of the people that I reached out where through emails. I did not even have a laptop or a cellphone. Anyway, I called all the architects listed in the phone book, introduced myself, and luckily enough - got set up with some interviews. I was fortunate to get hired on the first week I came to Calgary. It was a good break, an architect hired me. He himself originally was from BC. Calgary had a really hot job market and that was one of the reasons why I was able to successfully get employed in the architectural field.

For this phase, two things were critical in being successful in getting employed - the network helped me greatly plus a hot job market. I would suggest that to try to network and research the job market as much as you can, even prior to migrating to Canada. The Canadian job market website is not necessarily the best resource because the information is not up to date. Best really to ask people from your own community.  

Accreditation with CACB


When I started working, I did not apply for the accreditation right away. It took me a year or so to get settled. The first point of contact for accreditation is the CACB, the Canadian Architectural Certification Board. It took me some time to get my papers from the Philippines, After submitting my paperwork to CACB, the review itself took about 6 months.  With the accreditation with the CACB, I was able to qualify as an intern architect. I got my CACB Certificate, see below.  I still needed to get my license from the province.





Architect Provincial Association

With this certificate, I was able to register as an intern architect in Alberta Association of Architects. I was working for a fair size architectural firm, so there was a number of interns taking exams and logging their hours. At that time, more than 10 years ago, if you were internationally trained, there was only one way to get your license - that is to register as an intern architect and get the hours, take the exams again. Prior to my generation, the older generation of internationally trained architects were required to study again.  If you look historically at the older generation of internationally trained architects, now in their late sixties or seventies, there was very few of them who got their accreditation and license.

Its sad when you think about that. These are experienced and talented individuals/ licensed architects elsewhere,  and they served the industry well. I do not think they had the opportunity and the support that was needed for them to get their accreditation.   

Intern Architect

When I was taking my exams, there was only one type of exam that you an take- it was the Architect Registration Examination maintained by NCARB, the National Council of Architectural Registration Boards.  The ARE is the licensure examination used by the United States and is also accepted by Canada. That means by passing these exams, you can get licensed not only in Canada but in the United States as well. There were 9 exams on those days, all computer exams. I would hear about the ExaC, the Canadian architect licensing exam but in came into play a few years after I  finished the ARE.

The Canadian Exams have 4 exams, but I believe they are only offered twice a year. Unlike the Exac, ARE is offered through the NCARB centres all throughout the year. Reviewing for the ARE and the Exac is different as well. With ARE, you have to be comfortable with the software and using the computer since you are graded based on how you are able to answer the computer questions. Whereas Exac is still in pen and paper.

If the Exac was available at that time, I would have taken the Exac instead of the ARE. The Exac is a shorter process, the success rates of the examinations are higher, plus I do not have any plans of getting licensed in the United States anyway.

BEFA


Currently, CACB has what is called the BEFA program - Broadly Experienced Foreign Architects. 
Instead of becoming an intern again by logging the hours and taking the exams, BEFA recognizes that as an internationally trained architect, you already have the skills and training as an architect. You still need to submit the requirements for architectural accreditation and you still need to qualify as an architect. There is a self assessment phase and then an interview afterwards. The fees to go through this process can be quite steep, about $6,800 total. It is quite an investment, given that when you are new to  Canada, you are trying to establish yourself career wise and financially.  There are success stories posted on the CACB website. The pilot program started in 2011, there is about 17 success stories in BEFA. I am not sure what the success rates are, I think the most prohibitive factor would be the cost and also the time as well.

Interview

After I finished my hours and the ARE, I submitted my papers and I was scheduled for an interview with the Alberta Association of Architects. I remember dressing up ( which to me is combing my hair and making sure I have a clean, well pressed shirt ) and preparing my portfolio. I believe you had 2-3 architects from the association that conducts the interview you. In Alberta, it is more a formality. You do feel that you are now welcomed into the fold. I have heard of other provinces that are more strict in the interview and ask a lot of questions. It is a good thing I did not have to go through all that.
After the interview, the association sends out a letter and you are scheduled to attend the Oath Taking.

Oath Taking

 As an architect, I took my oath twice in the span of my career.
First time in the Manila, Philippines and I was a young woman at that time.
I had my mother with me and I  remember she was as excited for me to get licensed, she was even more excited than I was. For the longest time, she would carry my certificate in her briefcase.

Ten years after, I took my oath as an architect in Calgary, Alberta.
It was my husband who attended with me and my husband made sure that when it was my turn to be on the stage, that he clapped the loudest.

The association gave the certificate in a nice big metal frame. So at the end of the oath taking was the dinner, I remember putting the certificate beside my chair at the dining table and jokingly saying to another architect, someone I knew, to make sure that he does not mistakenly exchange the frames and take my certificate home with him. I also said jokingly to him, when they called my name for the oath - now I belong to the circle of unemployed-


Anyway, I think of that batch that became architects, I was the only female immigrant, a non white person. Come to think of it, in the industry today, there is still not a lot of female, person of color architects. But you see, the license is a vehicle, an opening to get more jobs and opportunities.            It is not a guarantee- that you will get paid better or that you'll get better jobs. It's not even a guarantee of employment. All of that really, will be a combination of perseverance, hard work, talent and yes luck.



Please feel free to check out my video - How to Become a Licensed Architect in Canada



******


Joann Zulueta is an architect based in Calgary, Alberta. Feel free to contact her at info@zuluetaarchitecture.com





    




 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Design A Restaurant to Building Code

Philippine Architect Salary vs. Other Asian Architects: A Snapshot